spots

Friday, December 19, 2008

Worth It

If I had had time to write this blog yesterday, it would have gone something like this:

I am a terrible mom. Not only does my child find my sewing scissors (read: sharpest scissors in the house) in the 30 seconds I was going to the bathroom and scratch himself across the forehead...
...but he is driving me absolutely crazy. To the point that I think I should not have any more kids because if this is normal behavior, I'm just not cut out for it. I thought my house was child-proofed, but he manages to CLIMB and BREAK almost everything. Truly. And he must hate the heat as much as I do because he has made an ART of fussiness this week.

On top of that, I'm over Argentina. All kinds of really annoying things I could live with, like us finding out yesterday, and only because Mario's mom happened to read it in the newspaper, than in these last two, busiest weeks of the year, we also have to get our car inspected because 2005 cars were newly admitted to the inspection requirement, and to do so we have to take all the tinting off the windows and then pay to get it put back on (because by law it's not allowed but it's only enforced at inspections and it's too freaking hot here to live without it) and oh yeah, in this city of 1.5 million inhabants there are only 2 places you can do it so bring a few novels because it ain't likely the line will be short!

But that I could live with. What I cannot live with, is the shopping deficiency. I needed/wanted new shoes for the season, and to wear for Christmas, so I got a babysitter and set out. I went to the mall (most expensive), I went downtown to the hub of all shopping, I went in all the small shopping galleries and San Luis street (Rosario's equivalent to Canal Street in New York). And not only is there a total lack of variety, but they are so ridiculously expensive!! The cheapest passable pair I saw cost 150 pesos. That would be US $50, and they're PLASTIC!!!! Okay, I'm not above the ocassional cute plastic shoe to capture a season's trend. But only if I pay less than $25 for it!! Because I am apparently snobby and ridiculous, I wanted an actual leather shoe, so I ended up with the below pictures footware for the outrageous fee of...
260 pesos, or almost 90 dollars! I mean, they're cute, but certainly not $90 cute! And about 10 stores had the exact same shoes, each with their individual store logo stamped on the inside as if they're the only one that makes them. How is a girl supposed to live under such circumstances???

But then I went to a dinner at the church for all the current and former bishops in the stake, and realized even the "perfect" mothers are totally fed up with their kids in this horrible heat wave we're suffering through, and that I really love some of the people that I've met here, so I may survive a little bit longer. I came home and did some shopping online to make myself feel better.

And then this little monster got up this morning and cuddled with me for almost an hour, which makes it all worth it. Good thing I didn't post yesterday.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah Smarty..thank you for admitting you aren't the perfect mom! I've been trying to deal with my little "monsters" for five+ years now and I have horrible mommy days every other (ok, every day)day. So sorry about your lack of shopping! I guess I should really not gripe about mine at all! Can you get anything you want online or are there still a lot of restrictions? You stay safe down there! I got your card, so cute! You did a beautiful job with it. I haven't even sent mine out yet so be patient!
Love,
Joyful:)

Elvie said...

your blog is cracking me up. luv that you hunted for some shoes. sometimes it just has to be done....your boy is so crazy and cute. you're not a bad mom, he's just a sassy kid. merry christmas! feliz navidad!

Martababe said...

Oh my gosh, but I think my children have mastered being naughty, and not just a little naughty, but past the point of no return naughty. Yes, every mother wants to pull out there hair out, I just want to pull it out everyday. Lucky for them, they can also be the most loving and cutest children ever. And that is what saves them :) Ah, to really shop. I thought it it was bad over here, but it's nothing like over there. I feel your pain. Love ya

Erika said...

so nice to hear your 18 month old is driving you crazy as well. it's insane. At least we're in the trenches together. I totally get the shopping thing. Same here in Canada. Shoes are crazy expensive. The cheapest thing at payless is $30. It's payless- hello.

wackywilsons said...

This is a great post b/c it means that you are NORMAL! And I think your shoes are cute, even if they were overpriced. You will just appreciate them that much more. I think they're a great color and your pedicure looks so fun....here in DC we are all in boots and forget any paint on those toes! I can't even reach them right now...

Wow, Mario was released and is in the stake presidency? That definitely says something about the man that you married. Good for your sweet family and all that you will be experiencing.

Any luck with the gifts??? I haven't heard anything from my mom in over a week! She is off frolicking with this Oscar man...I hope she had a great time!

KamilahNYC said...

Oh - the drama! Let me know if you ever find something that I can send you from New York...
I wouldn't be able to survive without shopping! :)

KamilahNYC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

Adrianne, look on DSW and find a pair of shoes you want and I will send them over as a delayed B-day gift. I shudder at the thought of you lacking sufficient shoe options and the price there is crazy! Go find some and let me know which you choose darling

Trifunovici said...

OK, i have to leave a comment too, if for no other reason than because the rest of the CTFA (DC) chicaroos wrote as well.
Smarty, you know you are a great mom and you have an adorable kid...so shed the guilt please! Remember how many kids in this world are raised in conditions most of us have never seen or dreamt of. Kids are hungry everywhere in the world tonight as I write this. They sleep in card board homes. They have no running water. So, the fact that you LOVE your kid and provide him a HOME, will go a long way in making sure that he will grow up into a marvelous young fella.
As for the shoes....girl, if you need me to mail some stuff to you, just email me. I would be happy to do it.
And besides, I am tired of you living in Argentina as well...when are you moving back?:))))
It is always fun to visit your blog, you are truly a gem and I miss our CTFA days.
Lots of love from Portland, where some of us have worst doggie mama days a lot, but refuse to admit it:)
Miji

trifunovici.blogspot.com

Catherine Savitsky said...

I love and miss you. I laugh at your story only because Lauren is pretty much an angel right now, but when she's 16 and I'm ready to commit myself and you're tiptoeing throught the tulips I know the last laugh will be on me! xoxox