spots

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

And So This Was Christmas...

By some strange aligning of the stars, we have had a totally calm and pleasant Christmas season. I finished all my shopping on black Friday, we don't know anyone besides my family so we had no parties to go to, and my Christmas cards were mailed by the first week in December, so we just relaxed and enjoyed the holiday spirit the rest of the month.
We did a lot of driving around, looking at lights. Did you know there is a club for people that like to build model trains and that use their entire backyards to set up tracks and tiny cities and landscapes? And two weekends in December they open their homes to the public and we got to see their miniature worlds. It was very cool (pictures are unrelated, as I am challenged in the rembering to bring the camera and use it department)
We went to see the temple lights a few times, once with our friends the Wilson's, which made it that much more fun. Aren't these boys adorable? (seriously, only cold night of the year.)
We also drove around lots of neighborhoods and visited other festive sights. We didn't make it to any of the shopping centers that had artificial snowfall at night. Don't know why we missed that. We did go to a local Lutheran church's "walk through bethelem" which was complete with hummus to taste and a real donkey in the manger.
I made new pijamas for everyone to wear on christmas eve- a tradition passed down from my mom.
We opened family gifts on Christmas eve while we were together - Gabe is modeling his new boots from Jimmy and Allison, while trying to figure out the rope.
Lucia got her first baby doll, also from Jimmy and Allison. She is adorable and pats it's back and puts the pacifier in its mouth.
Mario got his first pair of althletic pants that are actually long enough. Did you know it is almost impossible to find jogging pants in long sizes? xxxxxxl, no problem. Large/tall, don't make them. He is undefeated after his first two tennis leagues, and I thought he may need them when he plays in the cold january nights coming up. We have a deal, if he plays 41 games undefeated - Federer's record - I'll take him to Italy. (makes us both care about his tennis games!) He's 15 - 0 right now. Think he'll make it?
Gabe was totally thrilled by every gift. It was so fun. Here he is checking out hungry hungry hippo.
Lucia is trying out her new slide.
While we consciously do NOT want to promote a future of "cowboy" for our son, it's what he loves right now, so his Christmas seemed rather centered around those things. He was beyond thrilled that santa got him a truck and horse trailer.
Us coming down the stairs together at a very reasonable 8:30am. I love the look on Gabe's face as he excitedly tells me "look momma, Santa came!"
We truly have had a wonderful holiday season, filled with peace and joy and time to reflect on the meaning of the savior in our lives. One highlight was a visit to the temple with a large number of the adults in my family. I am so blessed to have the family that I do, who taught me that the God and his son Jesus Christ had done all that they have and continue to do, so that I and my family might have JOY. We hope that your holiday season has been filled with happiness and joy that will continue throughout the coming year.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Looks like a Very merry Christmas, Santa brought us Hungry Hippos too, good times. I totally think Mario is up to the challenge so start saving up your Euros cause you will be heading to Italy.

wackywilsons said...

What cute pjs!!! I love the letters on the shirts...hat a talented woman u r!

Tammy said...

So happy for you guys. Happy to have you back here, and thrilled to see your smiling faces in the PJ shot. So cute!!! Cheers to 2011

Brown Sugar said...

yeah, christmas. I can not think of a comment in theme with your christmas update but I love your family.