spots

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A Baby No Longer

Tomorrow Gabe turns one and officially becomes a toddler. Yesterday he had his one-year visit with the pediatrician and he weighs 24 lbs. 3 oz, is 31 inches long, and was declared perfectly healthy. He is walking everywhere, although still falling a lot. He is curious about EVERYTHING and in order to investigate properly all items must be held, put in his mouth, and then thrown on the floor. He is very silly and has the greatest laugh ever. He loves to be chased but instead of running away, he often turns and runs towards you and falls down so you'll tickle him, giggling the whole time. And whenever he hears music, he dances. Always with at least his right hand in the air, something both. In my church Relief Society meeting last week during the hymn he walked to the front of the room and started dancing. It was hilarious. Here Mario captured him really feeling the music.

Yes, I am aware I am breaking some major parenting rules by allowing him to not only have a bottle at 1 year old, but walk around with it. Oh well.

This week I also reorganized his room, moved some of the furniture around, and finally hung the wall stickers that I got at Target last time we were there. Four full months to get them on the wall. I know I'm a little slow. Gabe was watching me put them up and then touching them and awing, of course until I got out the camera to take a picture of him enjoying his new decorations, then he started screeching at me because he wanted to get to the camera. That is his other favorite new thing - screeching when he wants something because he has no other way of communicating. Here he is mid-screech with the stickers behind him.
And here are the stickers on the opposite wall.
So now I'm looking into baby sign-language so my child who still doesn't say a single word will have some means of communication. I'd love any and all advice/suggestions/experience with baby sign language!!

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy birthday, Gabe! What a cutie. I love the dancing- he's got moves! I think signing with babies is great. I loved the Signing Time videos http://www.signingtime.com/
(you will probably recognize the creator's maiden name- de Azavedo). My kids liked watching the kids on the videos, the music is great and not annoying (for the most part), and it teaches ASL instead of made up signs. The tough part for me was remembering the signs and using them consistently. Both of my kids knew more signs than I did, which didn't really help in the communication arena...

Paige said...

I LOVE the dancing. And the bottle is OK. I have good reasons. Bea gave hers up on Monday. Let's discuss.

Linsey said...

Hm, we didn't do sign language, I felt like English and Spanish were enough for me. Caleb had his bottle until at least 15 months, maybe longer. He gave it up by himself. The stickers are wonderful

And...was that Pump Up the Jam????

Tammy said...

Cannot believe your baby is 1!! Happy B-day little Romeo....start breaking hearts! love it. Sign language is good, there are just a few signs you need like more, yes, no, etc.

Unknown said...

If you are looking for information on baby sign language and language development, have a look at The Baby Signing Book by Sara Bingham (yes, that's me!) We've covered language development milestones for every 6 months in the book from 0-3 years, so it's a really helpful book just in general regarding language development. I also agree Signing Time DVDs are wonderful! Sara

Ashley said...

Such a LOVE! He needs to jam out w/ his cousin Cade - Cade really like to feel the music as well. Gabe's room is really looking cute - the green looks way good.

Jessica said...

never did baby sign. kids way too talkative. always.

I think the baby bottle rule is 2. seriously.

Brown Sugar said...

Gabe and I have the same dance moves! no seriously we do.