spots

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Papa, Play, Palabras

Although Mother's Day is in October in Argentina instead of May like the rest of the world, Father's Day is in fact on the same day. I should tell you it was yesterday so I can seem very timely in my blog post, but it's not true. In fact, I didn't even get a picture of Mario last Sunday so I had to take it yesterday. I assure you he hasn't changed in a week. And not only can you see the belt we got him and the card we made him for Father's Day, you can also see that we allow him to fulfill his desires to get in touch with his inner Erkel, even though he has no idea whom Erkel is.

We had a great weekend last weekend. Monday was Flag Day and it was a long weekend so Paco, Alicia and Pilar came again (Griselda was still prohibited from traveling due to road blocks and now the total absence of gas to put in her car in her town). We got out the mini chocolate fountain and I'm pretty sure Deo was the number one fan. His wife and sons kept trying to stop him from eating too much, reminding him of his diabetes but he had a singular focus and kept right on enjoying. Happy Father's Day to an amazing man who has taught all four of his sons to be truly great fathers and husbands. No small feat.

Gabe demonstrated for tia Alicia (pediatric dentist) how he likes to brush his teeth HIMSELF. I try to get a few swipes in before he bites the toothbrush and then grabs it out of my hands, I hope it's doing some good...

This weekend all the primary kids went to the children's museum here. Gabe is not officially primary age yet, but they invited him and the bishop wanted to spend some time with the kids, so we all went. Here is Gabe being silly with our friend Ada before we left.
I actually took Gabe to this museum when he was about 2 weeks old with his cousins. I had been dying to jump in in the "sea" of balls ever since, so of course it was the first thing we did.

Gabe letting out his inner rocker.

I'm showing him the flag on the mini replica of the monument to he flag. He liked the flag...
but he liked climbing it better.
He was very pleased with himself and I was a jumping nervous wreck trying to make sure he didn't fall off in exactly the direction I couldn't reach.
And I can now also post that Gabe is saying his first word - mama. He's been making the sounds for a while now, but he would do it randomly so I wasn't really sure he associated mama with me. But this morning at 7 am he called from his bed "mama mama mama mama mama" until I finally got up. So I guess he gets it. I've heard remnants of chao, "tao" a few times, so that may very well be his second word. English is already losing to Spanish.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day to Mario and Deo!!! Gabe just amazes me every picture I see. He is getting so big, so fast. We are dying to see all of you!! Is that the same museum we took Estella's boys to when I was there??

Paige said...

That looks like a fantastic museum! Getting the chocolate fountain out is true celebration. Did you make the card Mario is holding?

Ashley said...

I'm missing Gabe so, so much I can't hardly stand it. Of course I miss you too, but your proginy is so damn darling it's hardly possible. When you, Mario, & Gabe are here the next time we must have a marathon of "Family Matters" so Mario can continue to be in touch w/ his inner Erkel. Love you guys!!!

wackywilsons said...

So..do you only speak to Gabe in Spanish? "Tao" is so dang cute and I love that he called you mama from his crib! It only gets better from there...a bitter sweet thing.

Good for you for jumping into those balls. I remember when I was a brand new mom, I would have to hand wash every ball before getting in b/c of germs! ha! How I have given up on that stuff by now:)

I think Mario looks great in his high waisted PJ's and belt...very nice...

Catherine Savitsky said...

It's so wierd seeing you in a sweater and jeans when we're sweating it out up here... are you really 1/2 a world away?!?!? Ugh!