spots

Sunday, March 08, 2009

How To Make Difficult Decisions

For any of you out there having difficult making a decision, I suggest putting off making the decision until there is only one option left, and then there you go!

At least that is what I did with the big debate about sending Gabe to preschool. I know, he's not even 2 yet, but here he is standard starting age. The school year runs from March to December, and all kids that will turn two before the end of June start in the two year old class in March. All preschools are three hours a day (morning or afternoon turn) five days a week. While some are public, the majority are private and cost anywhere from 130 to 400 pesos a month.

I have been throwing around the idea of sending Gabe in my mind since about last November. There are no play groups, no mommy-and-me clubs, no gymboree kids groups, no daycare at the gym, or anything of that nature here. The only music class around is the one I teach, and I do it FREE, and I'm lucky if one other kid shows up. So basically, Gabe and I spent ALL DAY together, with NO OTHER kid/mom friends to break it up. I felt like he really needed more social interaction.

However, he just seems so young for preschool. He's going to learn bad/annoying habits from the other kids, probably bad words, and what kind of stay-at-home mom sends her kid to preschool before he's even two?? I mulled around and weighed all these aspects for a few months. By the time February rolled around, I had decided that if I couldn't start getting out to go to the gym a few times a week and a couple of other things, I would be clinically insane. An insanity never did prove a good mothering quality. Thus I set out to sign him up. For about three weeks, I pounded the pavement all around our neighborhood stopping at every preschool to check it out, find out if there was space, etc. They were all closed. Seriously, I couldn't find a living person at ANY of them.

The last week of February, the last week before I knew classes began, I started finding live people to answer my questions. And this is what they said "sorry, no more space." "nope, no more space" "ah no, you're too late". I was seriously frustrated. How did other people sing up their kids if I couldn't even find anyone to talk to?? But at the very last option (a few blocks farther than I really wanted to walk) there was space. Money was paid, child was registered, I didn't even ask the standard questions like what's the child/teacher ratio and how do you discipline and what are you teaching methods. He's not even two, and he's only there for three hours. What can really happen??

So last Monday Gabe started preschool. He seems to really like all the toys and the other kids, with one caveat: I remain present in the room. Monday all the parents stayed with the kids and we did activities. Tuesday I stayed 20 minutes then left him long enough to go to a pilates class and they called me because he was crying inconsolably. Wed. I was exhausted and it was pouring rain so I didn't take him. Thursday I stayed 40 minutes and left him 20 - cried almost the whole time. Friday I didn't enter, but only left him 30 minutes. The teacher said he cried, but there was notable progress. When we show up, he's all excited, wants to go in and play....until he figures out I'm not going in as well.

Will this get better?? Who will be more emotionally damaged - me if I don't get some alone time or Gabe if he's forced to be seperated from the extension of himself = me?
While you ponder that, let me what with you the list of items I was required to provide Gabe with to attend preschool:
A backpack containing:
  • plate and a cup
  • a placemat and a napkin
  • a towel for drying his hands that has elastic to go around his neck
  • liquid hand soap in a pump container
  • a cover-up shirt for painting
  • a notebook with a blue cover for communications with the teacher

Seriously? Isn't it just easier to stock the bathrooms with papertowels and buy a big thing of soap for everyone to share?? Or even ask the parents to take turns providing paper towels and soap each month?? Are you seriously going to go to each kids' backpack and get out his individual soap and towel every time he needs to wash his hands?? And let's talk about the placemat and napkin...I asked if I could just put in a pack of paper napkins, you know, the DISPOSIBLE kind? "um, well, if you could just get him a cloth napkin and placemat then he'll have it for the whole year." Yeah, and I have to take it out and wash it every night! I ignored them and shoved in a pack of cheap paper napkins.

And please note that I refused to buy him a "character" backpack with backyardigans or winnie the pooh or something on it, and instead settled for nice plain blue one. I won't cave to characters before he can even ask for them!!

14 comments:

wackywilsons said...

I am excited to be the first to post!

I think it's great that you are putting some time for YOURSELF, since Gabe is obsessed with you (why wouldn't he be! You are great!)...and preschool is a great way to interact. He won't learn a lot, but at least he is socializing, right? He sure does look adorable in his blue towel.

And those eyelashes are great!

I am so happy you have some shoes too..those gray ones are so cute, with the ruffles. Are people down there doing the pants inside boots thing too? Seriously...where did that trend come from? You will pull it off just fine...skinny legs and all.

I love how light hearted and realistic your blog is...not mushy and cheesy at all, even when it comes to your sweet Gabe. I love it!

Kimberly said...

I promise it will get better and you will love seeing Gabe interact with the other kids. Enjoy your free time!

Paige said...

You need this. But I had the same experience with Sol when I sent him at 2 and the twins were born. I was scarred for it. He was just too young I think, but he needed it and it did get better, it just took a long time. Don't rush it but it will get better once he bonds with teachers there. It will be worth it in the long run.

I'm sorry if it's torture for you. My mom used to drive Sol the two days a week he went and he screamed so much one time she just didn't take him to school and took her to his house for the 3 hours.

I love the towel around his neck. Can't you drive him to school?

Amy said...

I despise character anything! Jacob started pre-school at 3 when Mena was born. Three years later he still using that red backpack and wearing jeans or khaki's with polos and sweaters.

Two does seem a bit young by U.S. standards, but let me tell you, I don't "hate" my drives alone between college and the sitters for the 10 hours a week I'm gone.

And yes, she is TOTALLY starting in the fall. I can't wait to control my own home again. At least two hours a day...eh, it's somethin'

WashingtonDegn said...

Preschool is great. he will get used to it and will love it. I've never done 5 days a week, which does seem like a lot, so maybe you could compromise and just go 3 days a week for a while. Or not...kids can get used to anything. And it will do you both good!

Linsey said...

Has this week been better? It's hard when it is just the two of you for so long and then you thrust them into a totally new environment. But, as I've told you, now Caleb couldn't survive without his preschool and neither would I.

I'm glad you didn't also have to provide uniforms, that was the hardest part of enrolling Caleb!! And, I'm impressed with his smock, I couldn't find anything like that anywhere in Venezuela...oh wait, you probably made his didn't you?

Tammy said...

I have no kids but I do know that my little brother was just like Gabe. He sobbed and cried at preschool and it was tortuous for my mom, but if you wait until he is 5, it will be suicide for him amongst his classmates, so best to do it now. This separation anxiety is all the more reason to put him in preschool, right....because he is too attached now? I dont know for sure, but my guess is that its a VERY GOOD thing for you and for Gabe. You need some time for your own life, to work out, sew, chill, email, work, sleep, shop, or eat bon bons. :)

Mar said...

It will get easier for him. Definitely. but it might take some time, and it might regress, too. He's a handsome kiddo. love the buz hairdo, too.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/single-ukrainian-women.html]single ukrainian women[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/young-mail-order-bride.html]young mail order bride[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/russian-erotic-dating.html]russian erotic dating[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/index74.html]russian penpal girls[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://song.hamee.ru/dating-agency.html]dating agency[/url] [url=http://song.hamee.ru/russian-women-support-groups-and-forums.html]russian women support groups and forums[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://livecam.hamee.ru/russian-escrots-girls-prostitutes.html]russian escrots girls prostitutes[/url] [url=http://livecam.hamee.ru/reviews-mail-order-brides.html]reviews mail order brides[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://hotl.reira.ru/russian-girls-lingerie.html]russian girls lingerie[/url] [url=http://hotl.reira.ru/best-chinese-mail-order-bride.html]best chinese mail order bride[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://russian.reira.ru/nude-russian-boys-girls.html]nude russian boys girls[/url] [url=http://russian.reira.ru/cherry-blossom-mail-order-bride.html]cherry blossom mail order bride[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://plain.reira.ru/little-russian-ladies.html]little russian ladies[/url] [url=http://plain.reira.ru/free-russian-nude-women-photos.html]free russian nude women photos[/url]