spots

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Welcome to the World Baby Girl!!

The official story... Tuesday morning I woke up, took Gabe to preschool and went to my water aerobics class, where I proceeded to jump and run the entire time, instead of just taking it easy like I had been. I came home, and while getting ready for my regularly scheduled dr. visit, my water broke. I did what any normal woman would: finished my hair and makeup, called my mom, and then swept the floor and cleaned the bathroom to prepare for not being around for a few days. I then called my husband and we made arrangements for Gabe. He asked me how I was going to get to the hospital since I told him to wait, get Gabe from school and take him to his mother's house and then come, and I realized I probably shouldn't drive myself, so I took a taxi.

I got to the dr.'s office (it's in the hospital) at 11:30, he discovered I was dialated to a 5 and sent me down to a room to get hooked up to a monitor. He stopped by about 12:30, just as Mario got there, and I reported that I was having contractions about every 3-4 minutes, but they weren't painful yet. He said it would be a few hours, relax, he was going to lunch and would be back.

Mario and I hung out, he snacked on the sandwich he brought with him, my contractions progressed in intensity but nothing too bad. About 1:30 I was in a lot of pain and my Dr. was still gone (remember Argentine lunches are looooong) and I told the dr. on staff I wanted an epidural. She reported it was too late, the baby was coming. After an episode of howling and screaming that would have thrilled "the baby story" producers, Lucia was born at 2:03 pm, approximately 7 minutes after my dr. arrived.
They reported at birth that Lucia weighed 3 kilos 50 grams, which would be about 6 pounds 11 ounces. But at her control appointment 3 days later, after checking her on different scales, she weighed 3 kilos 500 grams, 7 pounds 11 ounces, and the ped said this had happened to her a couple of times lately and she thinks the scale in the delivery room is wrong. (all my dr. offices are in the hospital). So who knows what she weighed at birth. She is 19.7 inches long.

Gabe ADORES her. When he came to the hospital to see us I handed the baby to my niece so I could pay attention to him, and he would have none of it. He wanted mama to hold the baby. Here he is showing me how big his hands are and how small hers are. He is fascinated that she moves, and squeals and tells me every time she moves. He gives her all his best toys, usually on top of her head, and wants to hold her, love her, touch her eyeballs, pull her out of her chair to play with him, etc. I love that he loves her so much, but it's a bit exhausting trying to protect her.
We've also had a bit of drama the first few days of Lucia's life. First, the doctor heard a "wooshing" sound in her heart and sent for a cardiologist. We learned that Lucia has a very small hole in her heart, but apparently this is very common and will probably close on it's own. For now we've just been told to monitor it in 2 months. She's also had billirubina, which I guess is just jaundice but it's made her pink instead of yellow. This also isn't too serious, but it has meant regular return visits to get her blood drawn and see the dr, which have been time consuming and exhausting.
But she is a tiny, sweet bit of pure heaven and I don't want to put her down, even to sleep. Gabe was a baby on Monday, and now seems like a giant compared to her, and I am already panicked at how fleeting my time is with my newborn baby.

18 comments:

Linsey said...

Congratulations and kisses and hugs and all of our best wishes. We couldn't be happier for you all and can't wait to see her in person. We love you!!

Julie said...

Congrats she is gorgeous! you look fabulous by the way. I am sorry about the epidural I now hold you on a much higher level of respect.

Ellie said...

Congrats! She has Mario's lips. So cute.

Sally said...

Oh Yay yay YAY! I read this with a huge smile on my face. I am still smiling! I am so happy for you and she is a beautiful, beautiful girl. Just like her mommy.

Isn't it amazing how your first child seems like a giant when the next baby arrives? Sweet Gabe. What a lucky little Lucia to have such a loving big brother.

Happy, happy news!

Brown Sugar said...

I love you!I had to sit on my hands while reading the post because I wanted to hold her so bad. she is perfect and perfectly girly and your family is so beautiful, I can't wait to see all of you!

Amy said...

Congratulations on your little pretty in pink! And yay you for getting your cleaning done before going in!

Martababe said...

Adrianne, She is BEAUTIFUL. Really, one of the prettiest babies I've seen. Natural births SUCK. I live in the land of hippies so they waited till it was too late to have one...... So two of mine were natural. Anyway, I love that Gabe loves his baby sister. It is wonderful to have a big brother. I'm so happy for you. Oh, and I love that you finished your make up and household stuff before going to the hospital. Spoken like a true woman.

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful and I love that she is a thumbsucker. Isn't it crazy how your formerly little guy is now such a big boy! (I kind of hate that myself!).

Trifunovici said...

Smarty-
Congrats!!!! beautiful baby and beautiful family!!!!
Love,
mirjana and ivan

Jen said...

Congratulations to you! How exciting to have a boy and girl! You deserve all the best!

KamilahNYC said...

Congratulations! She's soooo cute and little!

heidiram said...

What a beautiful baby! Congratulations!

Courtney & Frank said...

CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for you all! You look amazing! Can't wait to catch up when you get settled in with the new little one!

Mar said...

Whoa. I can't believe you survived...I mean, I CAN believe it, but poor you. Happy day to have baby girl here. hope you are well and eventually get some sleep.
all my love, admiration for surviving loads of pain, and kisses.
mar

Mom+Girls said...

Congratulations on you little princess, she is so cute! Anyway you dont know me, but I am from rosario and know Mario and all the people around there. i live in the US since 2001 but anyway, i want to tell you congrats and also show you my site i see you are a crafty mom, so here it is http://cutebabyboutique.blogspot.com/ thank you

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Wow! I haven't checked in for a while and look what happened - congratulations! Lucia is a beautiful girl with such a beautiful name. I'm so happy for your family.

Tammy said...

Sooo thrilled for you! She is beautiful and impeccably dressed. I know this little miraculous baby girl is going to bring you such joy. And I have an intrinsic ability to predict the future as you already know. She is going to be as fantastic as you are, Adrianne.

wackywilsons said...

Short and sweet! I need more pics!!! Good for you for pushing her out all on your own...so glad you got your make up done for those big moments! Pics please!

She is a gem, I am so glad Gabe loves her and I can't wait to hear more!