spots

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Happy Hour at the Mall!

I discovered a new dimension of frantic holiday shopping last week in the form of "Happy Hour" (actually what they call it) at the local mall. This is how it works. Starting at 10 pm, they make announcements over a loud speaker calling out "Store X is offering 20% discounts, you have 5 minutes to get your tickets." In which case anyone wanting to purchase RUNS to this store to get a special ticket from a guy in a clown costume standing out front. Then, with this ticket, customers have the rest of the night to make a purchase with 20% off. Every 20 minutes or so they make another announcement with discounts between 10 and 30 percent off. This starts on the last shopping night before Christmas, and goes from 10 pm until 3 am!!!

We went by the mall to go to the movies with some friends, and although I had long finished all my Christmas shopping, the shopping spirit in me was rather antsy at missing out on possible discounts and jumping to join the frenzy. But alas I restrained myself (or Mario restrained me, I'm not sure which) and we headed to the theater...


The night before, we headed to the river and hung out on the beach all night chatting and drinking maté.

1 comment:

Linsey said...

I love this idea! I can only begin to imagine the chaos the would ensue! How you resisted is a miracle...