spots

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Una Casa de Navidad


With a couple of strands of garland and my beloved advent box being all I brought from my previous life in the way of Christmas decorations, I was essentially starting from scratch this year. And I will just briefly say that, as with almost every other category, shopping for Christmas decorations is NOT what it is in the USA...and once again I am filled with envy of my friend Linsey in Peru and her diplomatic pouch...

As many who know me are aware, I have wonderful childhood memories and thus very strong feelings tied to having a live, transported-on-the-top-of-your-car, drops-pine-needles-all-over-the-house, wonderful smelling Christmas tree. However, that does not exist here in Argentina, so I was reduced to searching for an acceptable false replacement. Mario's first comment was "We don't need a tree, we can share my parent's tree." That was the point at which I stopped even commenting on Christmas decorations to him. I have a most wonderful, loving husband and I adore him more than I can describe, but sometimes I think "he just doesn't GET me!"

But after much searching, I did in fact find a tree that was taller than 3 feet, with more than 4 branches, and some acceptable decorations for it, and I bought some felt and made some stocking, and we are now feeling very festive here in our house.

No comments: