spots

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Surviving the First Week

For those following, I apologize for being negligent. It seems that spending approximately 8 hours of every day nursing does in fact leave you with much less time on your hands!

We had a very exciting first week. Friday we went back to the dr. for Gabe's first "control" visit and immunization. He was given the BCG vaccine for tuberculosis, which was definitely more traumatic for me than for him. He didn't even make a peep, but I've been randomly obsessed with it all along because it leaves a scar on the upper arm where it is administered, and we don't get it in the US, but they still give it here. So in my hyper-emotional state I was crying in the dr's office. Poor Mario... We also found out that he has a bit of jaundice - not enough to check him in and put him under the lamps, but we are supposed to take off everything but his diaper and put him in the sun. Now someone tell me how I am supposed to do that in the middle of winter??? But it does seem to be getting better. He's also lost weight, which I know is normal but still does an amazing job of making you feel totally inadequate as a mother because you can't feed your child enough. But other than that he is healthy and great until the next weekly visit!


You can kind of see here that's he a bit yellow... but so sweet just the same. He seriously has NO neck, so his little head just sits on top of his shoulders and I feel like all his clothes choke him...

Mario has been sick, and doesn't want to get the baby sick so he went and got a face mask to wear. Here they are watching the NBA finals together, Mario informed me that Gabe will also be a big SPURS fan, for the simple reason that Ginobili plays for the SPURS. I wonder what will happen if Ginobili switches to another team...

Gabe also met his Uncle Paco, Aunt Alicia and cousin Pilar this weekend. Pilar has been the baby of the Resek family for quite sometime, and she was hilariously jealous of Gabe. Didn't want too much to do with him, I asked her if she wanted to give him a kiss, "no" ...do you want to hold him, "no" ...he wants to give you a kiss, "no" ...ok, well baby Gabe is going to go to bed now, "phew".

Pilar steadfastly ignoring Gabe.

Sleeping peacefully for Aunt Alicia. Alicia is a pediatric dentist and has cleared all fears that any pacifier/hand/thumb sucking will do future oral damage, which is good, because Gabe likes all of the above. He likes to suck his various fingers, and tries to put his whole hand in his mouth at times.
Here is my little angel sleeping peacefully for me today...this was right about the time I figured out that he had soaked through the diaper he had not been wearing more than 1.5 hours, his clothes, and MY bed. (I took him to nap with me because I looooove his sweet little sleeping body) Someone told me to be sure and point his penis down in his diaper and it seems I forgot. Learned my lesson on that one! Already in the first week he has caught me twice when I was changing him and soaked his clean clothes.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

He is seriously so yummy. That little mouth begs kissing! And good luck with the penis pushing--Ive never done that, cause I don't think it works. Your first baby is so crazy; you are doing a great job, I'm sure! I miss you!

Misty Smart said...

Adrianne- I can hardly stand this. I just want to hold hima nd smell him and all of that wonderful baby stuff. I am so jealous that your mom is coming to see you. I am so happy for you that she is coming, she somehow has this wonderful way of making everything all better, and all under control, not that you feel that way. But I'm always feeling that way. I do want you to know that I'm taking one for the team, and babysitting Your dad while she goes. I am hopefully paying the both of you back a small amount for all the times you've babysat for me. I love you and miss you.

Julie said...

He is so freaking adorable I love it! Congratulations! Enjoy it because it goes so fast, and write everything down, trust me you don't want to forget anything that he does! my favorite was how Elliot would scrunch her legs up whenever we picked her up from a nap!

Catherine Savitsky said...

Gabe gets cuter by the day!!! Keep the photos coming! Miss you lots, xoxox

Travel Argentina said...

Your son is sooo cute !Congratulations !!Cant wait to see him,and you of course.
Ofelia

Paige said...

I nearly peed myself with Mario in the mask. Talk about a hyper first time dad, but a good idea! I still freak about the shots, so you won't get used to it. He is so completely adorable in the sleeping pic.

Martababe said...

FYI - it doesn't matter which way you point his pee-pee, it always finds a way to pee right out of the diaper!! NO JOKE. I went through 10 outfits a day with Olsen.
Your baby is so dang cute. I'm so sad you are so far away!! Kisses from Aunty Marta

Tammy said...

He is gorgeous! You guys are going to be the best parents.

Tammy said...

He is so gorgeous!