spots

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Unexpected Gratitude

Tuesday, Gabe and I, along with Susana, went to visit my SIL Griselda for her 40th birthday. While at the mall yesterday, we stopped in the food court to get snacks. Gabe was being rather fussy and since the place was practically empty I decided to let him out of his stroller for a bit, and of course he made a bee-line for the games/arcade area next to the food court. The very first thing he saw was a kiddie ride, of the same variety of this bob-the-builder tractor, only it was a truck.
I helped him climb in, and I was smiling to myself in amazement and joy that my kid was having the time of his life and I didn't even have to put any money in it!! He was spinning the stearing wheel and jumping up and down, having a great time. Susana walked over to watch him enjoying life, and I walked away to get the food I had ordered him thinking, he'll be okay, it's less than a foot off the ground! After I put the food on the table, I turned back to see Susana carrying Gabe to me, saying he had fallen. I didn't think much of it, he falls all the time, until I grabbed him from her and noticed that he was unconscious, having convulsions, and her shirt was covered in vomit. I start yelling at ANYBODY who can hear me to CALL SOMEONE, CALL AN AMBULANCE. I realize shortly after that everyone is staring at me and I'm screaming in English so quickly start yelling in Spanish. I sat down with him and immediately said a prayer. I could feel that he was at least breathing, and someone told me to lay him across my lap so he wouldn't choke on his vomit. As I moved him, he wimpered a bit but then he was back out. He was probably out for about 2 minutes total, and just as he was waking up and starting to cry the paramedics arrived. But those were honestly the longest two minutes of my life. They took him to the ambulance and even as we were on the way they said he seemed fine, his eyes not dialated, responsive, etc. Once at the hospital the reviewed him, took x-rays of his head which everyone up to the neurosurgeon examined, and explained to me that he must have landed straight on his head when he fell out of the truck. And much like a boxer in a fight, that kind of impact can cause you to faint and vomit, without doing any additional damage. A little ibuprofen and 30 minutes later he was as good as new, running, trying to climb everything, acting silly, and his grandmother and I are still beside ourselves with terror.
Gabe on the 4th of July

While Gabe was napping later and I was resting, waiting for Mario who cancelled all his patients to come get us, I realized I had much to be thankful for, besides the fact that my child wasn't seriously harmed.

I am grateful for medical care that is accessible. Ever since I came here I've had this fear in the back of my mind that if something ever happened to a child of mine the inferior medical care in this 3rd world country wouldn't be able to help me. But so far my experiences have been MUCH faster and better than those of my sister Allison in the supposedly great medically-advanced USA.

I am grateful for a husband who ALWAYS puts his family first. By the time I called Mario, Gabe was home, running around and laughing, and it was not at all necessary for Mario to cancel all his patients and come. But he did it anyways. He truly always puts us before anything else.

I am grateful for the power of prayer. For the knowledge that there is a God who knows what is happening, and will answer my prayers. And I am grateful for my brother-in-law and the other priesthood holder who were immediately in the hospital to give Gabe a blessing.

12 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thank you for sharing. It is amazing how quickly scary and bad things can happen. I'm glad Gabe is ok and for the blessings your family has received. This mom thing can be rough!

Max and Diana Brown said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad he is ok!! prayers are such a powerful thing!

Brown Sugar said...

why is gabe cross eyed in his fourth of july photo?

Paige said...

I"m crying and I have chills. SO happy he's OK. Nothing like that has ever happened to me!!!!! So scary.

Lorena said...

FREAKY! I am glad that everything turned out OK. He is such a cutie in the picture. They eyes...oh the eyes!

Jessica said...

You need to start those posts out with things like: Gabe is currently just fine, so don't freak out the whole time you are reading this.

Sheesh.

Sally said...

I have never met your sweet Gabe, but your post made me cry on your behalf. What a relief that he is okay.

Mindy said...

glad to hear that gabe is back to his energetic self. yeah for prayer and great medical service and thank heavens you are bilingual!

Tammy said...

Adr-I loved this post. I am sorry you had a scary situation with your precious little one and can only imagine how frightening that must have been....but I love that it fleshed out this introspection. I think that we all go through struggles from time to time and sometimes they can be so consuming that they eliminate our ability to see the good things that we have. You have a wonderful husband that adores you, a beautiful baby, a healthy family, the ability to learn quickly and do any job because you are so smart, you are creative beyond belief which people all envy, and finally, so glad that you do have great medical care as well in case anything ever happens. Good for you, happy for you.

Mar said...

Am so grateful that Gabe is okay. How terribly frightening. Chalk one up for a tough noggin and the power of prayer.

Linsey said...

I just read this, I'm a little out of the loop these days. Scary, scary. So good that he is back to normal and okay and that you had responsive paramedics. There is nothing scarier than your child in distress and you unable to fix it...in any language.

I'll call you soon - am in UT with the boys while Kenny is in DC and Caleb's reveling in the terrible twos so my free time is dramatically curtailed. Sorry about your hotmail, what a disaster!

Cecilia, Adan & Cia. said...

Ay, ay, ay!!! que susto! esto pasa muchas veces mientras nuestros niños son pequeños, y aun cuando son grandes... en cuestion de segundos fa! suceden accidentes, que bueno que nada grave sucedio, seria muy tragico, ami me paso varias veces pero ellos tienen ese manto de proteccion que solo Dios les provee y no pasa a mayores.
besotes al divino de Gaby y besotes a vos. Te kiero, Ceci.