spots

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Lollipop Kid

Inspite of it's reputation as not quite keeping up with the "first world" in many aspects, I am finding there are a few advantages to being pregnant in Argentina.

First, I have my doctor's cell phone number, so when I have a strange pain in my side on a Saturday afternoon, I just call him and he tells me if I need to worry or not and what to do about it.

Second, they have this amazing general policy of priority for pregnant women. So in place of your traditional handicapped parking spots, malls etc. have the first parking spots reserved for pregnant women. And, I get to SKIP LINES!!! Almost all stores have a pregnancy priority line where you skip to the front of the line. When the grocery store is crowded beyond control, I go to the front of the line. Today I had to go to a payment center to pay a bill, and I was called to the front of the line. One of the things that truly drives me crazy about Argentina is that you have to go wait in line somewhere to do practically everything. And now I have to go, but I don't have to wait in line! It is amazing. I'm going to get one of those fake belly pillows they give you in maternity clothing stores to use when I'm not pregnant...

Third, ultrasounds are really cheap and plentiful, so on Monday Mario and I went to our 4th ultrasound to check in a see what's going on inside my growing belly, this one a 4D. Now, I was kind of expecting the Discovery Channel video and it's wasn't quite that great, but it was still very cool. It's like a normal ultrasound but then every so often they switch the software they are using so it puts it in 3D (apprently the 4th dimension is sound, but we didn't hear anything more than the heartbeat we always hear...) So far the verdict is we have a child who is 3cm longer than normal for his development, long feet and hands, rather thin, with a good sized head and big fat cheeks! He's pretty much a lollipop. And he has hair! If he wasn't inside me I'd doubt my paternity to a round-headed child with hair, but I suppose this one I cannot dispute...

Here's the snapshot of his face, which also seems to indicate fantastically big lips, but we'll see! I think he looks distinctly male, but maybe that's just because I know?? I'd love to post part of the video online but I'm still trying to figure out how to covert .ifo format to .avi or .wmv. If anyone knows and wants to inform me, I'd be most pleased.

1 comment:

Martababe said...

I love the priorty thing for preggo women. You get a little of it here, but nothing like that. Post pictures of your belly!!!