spots

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Finding you Inner Gaucho

We've been up to quite a lot these days. On the 10th of May I hosted a baby shower for my friend Carolina. Gabe was sent away with his dad and the other husbands (below with Leandro). Mario totally did NOT want to take him because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to bowl, and in the end Gabe happily sat in his stroller the entire time watching the lights and listening to the music. He came home having wet through everything he was wearing, but both father and son were content.

I planned the party with my friend Jazmin and Carolina was very surprised and very happy. Below you see the diaper cake we made her and the favors. I also made all the bedding for the to-be-born Celeste, but I am a dork and didn't get a picture of it. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, my making of the quilt and bumper pads was completely selfish. There is a lot of ugly here. And often times otherwise good and relatively stylish people get fooled into thinking the ugly is acceptable just because there is so very much of it. Ugly baby bedding distresses me greatly, so to prevent my having to witness it being used, I made and gifted something I like and will like to see creating the habitat for this new baby. It's really too bad I didn't get a picture because it was lots of soft yellow with pink highlights and so adorable it made me start thinking about another baby. Too bad you can't chose the gender or Gabe might possibly have a sister on her way.

Last Sunday some friends came over and Gabe and Sofia were hilarious. Here we are trying to convince Sofia to share the balloon with Gabe.


Then we discovered Gabe wasn't so interested in the balloon, he just went over and kissed Sofia. She was only mildly distressed.
Last Thursday we checked into the hospital for Gabe to have his tear duct opened. It is a very minor procedure, but it does require them to be completely under anesthesia. Holding him down while they put him out was very sad to me, but 40 minutes later he was awake, crabby, and back in my arms. As soon as we could give him some food and end his 14+ hour fast, he was back to his old self.


As some of you may know, when I first moved here I started a website http://www.spanishinrosario.com/ to help (for money of course) students that wanted to come to Rosario to study Spanish. I organized their classes, housing, etc. for them. Just after Gabe was born I wasn't really doing anything with it so I turned it over to my friend Stephanie. However, I already had in the works my first university study abroad group. After almost a year of talking, planning, proving credentials, etc. the students arrived. It has been a good experience, but so much more work than we ever thought. Seriously, these kids need so much hand holding!! Paige, did we ever ask Dr. Call to accompany us ANYWHERE??? Anyway, we'll do it again, we'll just charge double to make it worth it.

Last Saturday we took them all to a typical "Dia de Cammpo" at an estancia, and Mario, Gabe and I had a great day. Below are all the pictures.
Descendent of Don Silvano explaining the typical gaucho dress: pants are Turkish, belt and boots Spanish, vest and scarf French, and thing around the back of the best Italian.
Alicia on the staircase build to remind the owner of Gone with the Wind.

Us on the old tractor.
Stephanie and Claudio - my favorite people in Argentina I'm not related to.
Gabe spent the whole day picking up sticks and practicing walking. At one point he had a crowd of Chinese tourists huddled around taking his picture. Not sure if that says more about Gabe or the Chinese.
Gabe's dirty face after falling down so much.

The gauchos trying to grab a dangling ring with a pointy stick - they used to then present the ring to a women to ask for her hand in marriage.

Gabe on his first horse, which looked more like a burro but they swore was a horse. He's trying to keep up with his cousins Colton, Kallie and Cade.

6 comments:

Linsey said...

Chock full of fun posts. So glad your "latest" scheme is paying off, sort of. Definitely charge more the next time, people will come and pay.

The anesthesia is the worst. Twice with Caleb is 2 times too many - glad you and he survived and the tear duct is working well.

Your Annette-itis is all over this post. Go get a picture of the bedding - we must see it so we can ooh and aah over your wonderfulness.

Is is January yet? We're already counting the days! Oh, and our apartment building has a pool and a playground which means lots of fun to be had by all.

Paige said...

Dying over the bedding and the cuteness of the shower! Can't believe those children! I thought people everywhere but here used public transport. Gabe is cute. I love his dirty face.

Julie said...

I am glad to hear that you finally got your class up and running, even if it is a ton of work! The cake is awesome! I have wanted to make one like that for a long time, and I can't wait to break it out at the next shower I go to. Glad to hear Gabe is doing well and fully able to shed tears!

Lorena said...

Gabe seriously gets cuter every time you post! You are definitely keeping busy!

Tammy said...

People in Argentina are lucky to have you there, making things pretty! Yes ugly is unacceptable and you are a wonderful friend for making fabulous baby bedding! Miss you! Gabe is too cute!

Nortorious said...

How is he walking so early? Yay Gabe!