spots

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Keeping Up With the Jones's

I love Christmas and I go all out for it. However, I have become aware that I am a failure at pretty much every other holiday. I don't dress my family in Valentine's apparel. The leprechauns didn't visit my house last night where we ate lasagna instead of corned beef and green dessert. Last Thanksgiving was skipped entirely. The list goes on. My husband is a foreigner who doesn't get it, and my kid is too young to know what's he's missing. It's hard to find the motivation, you know? But I WANT to be that cool mom like Jessica who does the coolest things ever for her kids every holiday, or like Paige who's kids ALWAYS have adorable, holiday-appropriate attire. So, in order to assauge my guilty heart and start trying to be the person I dream of someday being, I decided I better get on the ball with Easter.

We're going to Chile to spend Easter with Mario's brother and his family, so I have more audience, thus more motivation. I fear my creations will not fare well in the 16 hour car ride, so I am posting about them now, so it can be documented for all posterity that I did attempt to create holiday cheer.

I present to you one lopsided baby chick piñata and 38 handmade chocolate-covered marshmallow eggs. The piñata looks ridiculous but took freaking HOURS to glue all those little pieces of tissue paper on, and the eggs are delicious, but I seriously doubt the chocolate will still be on the eggs instead of just on the inside of the little bags by the time we arrive. But there are no marshmallows in Argentina anyway, so it could be a developed taste and maybe they won't like them anyway?? But my nephews did request candy from Argentina, and I promise you that bird is stuffed with candy.

Maybe it's because I haven't had anything marshmallow in such a long time, but I was truly savoring my "test samples" of those eggs. I remembered making them once in Young Women's (the girl's organization at my church) and decided to try find a recipe and make them again. If anyone else is feeling so ambitious, the recipe is on www.recipezaar.com, recipe #85703.

Mario just called and when he asked what I was doing, I told him I was packing. Downloading photos off the camera so you have room to take pictures on your trip counts are preparing to travel, right? Best get to it. Have a Happy Easter and I will be back to blogging next week!

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Please don't try to do holidays like me. Then there will be NOTHING that I do, that you don't do better.

Jessica said...

I mean, homemade candies and pinata??

wackywilsons said...

I thought your posts about your hair were great...who was that first picture of anyway? I think the hair color looks great on you...and tatooed eyebrows are a MUST here in Mexico...at the temple last week all the women had them done except for me!

Way to go on that pinata and chocolates...freakin' a lot of work! I hope they appreciated it...you must give yourself a pat on the back for doing SOMETHING when NO ONE else is doing anything around you in Argentina! You are having to brave the way and make that pioneer heritage for your family...fortunately Gabe is super small and you have 3 more years until he cares...

I hope you have fun in Chile!

Lorena said...

I kept looking for my name on your post as one who over-does holidays and I wasn't on it...must have been an oversight. Didn't you hear? Jessica and I tied this year.

Mar said...

you are crazy. ambitious and crazy. hope they enjoyed your labors of love!

Tammy said...

Adrianne, we are relieved that you are not super martha stewart all the time making pinatas and handmade chocolate eggs that look better than See's candies in the glass case! The reason is that you can blow all of us away with your talent and creativity. So, just stay you, letting out your brilliance only so often so that you make the rest of us feel better about our humble selves! And yes, the eggs and pinata were truly impressive. Does Mario understand how amazing you are?

Elvie said...

that pinata is awesome! kinda scary that it's just the head but i love homemade stuff for that reason. it's always one of a kind. i used to make pinatas when i was a kid that were supposed to be circular but really they were oval and warped...and the hair pics cracked me up! come on...your hair is nooooot like that first pic. you're hilarious. luv it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, child, you are amazing! I don't recall that you ever liked marshmallows. Maybe it's just because they aren't available there.

Let us know how the Chile Reseks liked it all!

Mom