spots

Monday, March 17, 2008

Perpetual Disappointment

I have issues with hair salons. My issue is that I feel like I spent a lot of money, and lot of TIME, and I am NEVER happy when I leave them. The biggest problem is that I go in with hair something like this:




And expect to leave with hair something like this:


It doesn't happen. To complicate matters, my 15 strands of super fine hair seem to break easily under the stress of chemical processing. Here we see the three months of growth since my last visit to the salon:


That is not the first time. When I was in high school I wanted one of those super cool spiral perms. They were really expensive, but I knew some girl through my church that could do it at home for a lot cheaper. After my visit to her house, I had to be exceedingly careful for months or the huge CHUNKS of broken hair would not hide under the other hair, and would poke out all over my head. But I digress.

So, I went to the salon on Saturday to get my hair cut and helped along on it's path to maintaining the blond I was at about age 6, and of course left disappointed. The cut is boring, but I suppose that's my fault for not having researched a new hair cut and arrived knowing what I wanted. But is it my perpetual hair disappointment, or is this color just BAD on me??
Blogging has induced women all over the world to take self-portraits that are not especially flattering and then post them for the universe to critique. so aside from the fact that this is just a hideous picture, I can't decide if the color is darker than what it was before so I'm just not used to it - but it's good it's darker because who wants to be one of those women that have dyed their hair the same blond for decades, even when it ceased to be flattering, or if the color is just plain bad. So do I live with it or do I return and demand a new color?? Or maybe I need new makeup? And the eyebrows tattooed, because I have serious eyebrow problems, starting with the fact that you mostly can't see them, and they're supposed to be the "frame" around your face...

9 comments:

Trifunovici said...

OK, let me first say that you are hysterically funny ... the whole hair issue is totally understandable. I mean, after all, you are a woman who likes to look her best. And from your DC days, I remember that you always had beautiful shades of blonde hair. Which fit with your beautiful blue eyes and fair complexion. That said, I will add that I see nothing wrong with your current hair color, in fact I think it looks great. It probably looks darker to you than to us (there is the whole we can only see in on the computer screen issue to be taken into account). However, let me say this (I speak from personal experience, I am ashamed to say): when I had blonde hair (highlights),whenever I went back to get my hair re-done I always wanted it blonder than the last time. Until my hairdresser put her foot down and said: I don't think so missy. It is plently blonde enough!
So, not only does your hair look good, you also dont need to be blonder for blondeness sake, and next time you go in if they put in more blonde highlights you will have a nice contrast.
So, just relax, you look beautacious!

And...leave the brows alone:) Trust me on that one too!:)

Thanks for chekcing out my blog. I visit yours very frequently. Gabe is such a looker, I can't stand it.

Lots of love from Portland!
Mirjana

Paige said...

I love love love the honey color. Even better than the super blonde. And the cut is cute and modern. Thank you for the portrait.

Jessica said...

Yeah, you were hilarious.

It is darker, but looks good. I liked the blonde, too, though, so whatever.

That hair-sprout pictures was KILLING me.

Brown Sugar said...

Adrianne- you are a nerd and now anyone who hasn't been shopping with you is now aware of your nerdiness. your hair looks good, you don't need new makeup because even if you had new makeup you(we) don't know how to apply it. but maybe getting your eyebrows tattooed a weird old lady purple will do something for you. Just show more cleavage- everyone looks better and blonder with more cleavage.

Brown Sugar said...

P.s.- was that first scary hair photo an aerial shot of Mary Carrick?

Laurie, the girls and Scott said...

Hi! Your blog is great - as is your hair. Love it. Gorgeous baby too - OK, and husband. How exciting to be living in Argentina, skimpy bathing suits and all. Adios!

Nortorious said...

Oh, man, I sympathize. How DOES Michelle get her hair like that? I secretly want a perm too. The highlights look really great.

Lorena said...

I like it. I saw the picture before your comments and I thought you were going to say that you were happy with it. You're beautiful...what else can I say?

Tammy said...

Honest thoughts: You are beautiful so stop with the self loathing. The hair color is a tad darker, and I think I kind of liked the super light colors woven in, so maybe a few more light light ones around the face? The cut is cute I think because its versatile, you can leave it choppy and straight and edgy looking or curl it and toss it so its bouncing. Remember root lift spray, as it does help, as does blow drying the opposite direction of how it wil lay to create lift at the roots. As for the brows, I do think investing in a light brown brow kit, I like Anastasia brow kit, which has a color pencil, a waxy pencil to keep hairs in place and a highlighter pencil which creates a more awake look overall. A slightly darker brown may look good to draw out more of your eyes which are gorgeous. That is my take. I will note that your hair when you visited in January looked really good I thought, very pretty on your face and coloring.