spots

Friday, September 21, 2007

the end justifies the means???

This is gross a skull that I first saw lurking on a high shelf in Mario's bedroom at his parents house. After giving it a glance of disgust, I quickly added it to my mental list of items that would NOT make it into any joint living quarters.

When we moved into our house we went over to Mario's parents' to clean out his old room. When I saw him packing this I blurted in a high-pitched almost-shout "what are you doing?? Can't you leave that here?" He replied that he needed it to study.

Over the last year, this skull has continued to reappear. It goes something like this. Mario takes out skull to study. I see skull, I hide skull in some dark corner. Mario finds skull, ponders skull in what passes for studying, and then places skull prominently on bookshelves. I discover skull, hide skull in new place.

During these many months of skull hide-and-seek with involved much CONTACT with the skull, I go merrily about my way believing the skull is a fake, reproduced to study. Not too long ago, weary of the skull game, I threaten to get rid of it "once-and-for-all!!" Mario says I better not because he paid a significant amount of money for said skull. Not believing him, I asked him where the skull actually came from. This is the story.

The skull was his brother Paco's, who used it to study when in dental school. Paco went all about town to medical teaching supply stores looking for a skull, and couldn't find one. He mentioned this in a class, and some girl in his class offered to help him out. She went home to her small town CEMETERY and acquired this skull for Paco. Paco sawed the top off, and when he was done using it, passed it down to Mario. "where else would you get a skull" Mario asks me...

THIS WAS A REAL PERSON!

I am disgusted. This has been floating about my house for over a year now! I don't know exactly how it works, but not too long ago we took Mario's mom to the cemetery to visit her mother's grave. She pointed out to me her future grave site. I was confused, because it is occupied. She said she doesn't know exactly how it works either, but you pay for your grave site for a certain amount of time, then someone else buys it, and when the new owner bites the dust, you get dug up and they get placed in your spot. And apparently medical students needing skulls can just pop on by and pick one up!!


This is Mario receiving his latest in a growing list of diplomas. This was a three-year post-graduate course in Osteopathy. It was very difficult, intense, long, and out of the 60+ students that started the course, he was one of about 20 that finished. We are very proud of him, and hope he feels accomplished enough to take a break from studying for a while, and if we're really lucky, retire the skull. This is his professor - an French man who taught the class in Spanish, and who at the end made a small adjustment to Gabe's spine which has massively reduced the amount he vomits. Apparently it's common in babies that their stomach doesn't develop entirely and since all the nerves go to the spine, with small adjustments to vertebrae number 4 you can eliminate the acid reflex which was causing Gabe to vomit cup fulls all over me and the house. For that alone, the three years of study and dirty skull were worth it. And hey, now I'm ready for Halloween.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Really, Martha, you should be filling it up with mini-pumpkins or something and having it as the centerpiece at your next get-together.

And Ryan and I have some hide-n-seek items (like the watering can by the sink that he thinks makes rust stains, but I don't care cause it's cute, so he keeps moving it and I keep putting it back).

Paige said...

I really like the skull. Do they celebrate La Dia De Los Muertos there? You could make cookies as an offering.

Our hide and seek offerings are Jeff's shoes. He leaves them everywhere, I put them away, he wonders where they might be because we wouldn't think to look where they BELONG.

Lorena said...

I hadn't even seen your post and I posted one of my own about our little hiding game...with pictures!

And, now that I see Jessica and Paige's comments, I realize this is just a rite of marriage.

I'm glad Gabe is vomitting less.

Tiffany said...

What a great story! What nightmares my Keenan would have had with that skull appearing, disappearing then reappearing! I'm with Jess -- think you should fill it with Halloween candy.

But, it really is a gross thought. Don't you just wonder if the "owner" is aware of your hide and seek game?!

Erika said...

seriously, how do you dust those things? So many nooks and crannys? Just make sure Gabe doesn't start playing with it our something.

Tammy said...

That is hilarious. I love Mario for having a real skull. I would totally be fascinated with it. The grave thing with layering bodies or digging them up is a whole other story in which case you need to plan to be buried in the US plain and simple.

Nortorious said...

Hey frenchie! Camera's over here!

Stephanie said...

I saw that creepy skull when I was baby sitting the other night and thought to myself, what a strange thing for Adrianne to have in her "oh so very tidy and decorated home"
haha this explains everything!
haha