spots

Thursday, September 13, 2007

RETRO

"As is often the case in retro fashion, historical accuracy is somewhat beside the point"
(New York Times).

Last Friday we had a "Retro Dance" as a ward activity, and it was a smashing success for three reasons:
1. It had DECORATIONS!!! I've never been to a church activity here with decorations, and these were really fun.
2. The food was GOOD. Okay, so you had to buy it but I'd rather pay $2 for something I want to eat that get gross stuff free.
3. Almost everyone dressed up. I'd say about 40% of the attendees were in definite costume, 20% not in costume, and the other 40% I was afraid to compliment their spirit because it could have been current every day wear??? But still, points for interesting fashion.

We covered 3 decades within our family unit. I tie-dyed one of Gabe's onsies so he could be 60's-hippie. I flared out my jeans and feathered my hair for the 70's, and Mario was an 80's wonder. I was having a grand-time with my curling iron trying to recreate a good Heather Locklear 'do, but I live in a swamp, so by the time I finished curling both sides of my hair the first side was already flat. I was SOOOOOOOO annoyed. Mario had to remind me to focus on something more important in life, like anything. My frosty lipstick lasted a bit longer.

Gabe hanging out in his crib in my fantastic creation.
Gabe and I ready to go. Hair already flat.Us at the church - notice the great streamers hanging down, and where Gabe has already puked on my arm. My kid has a serious puking problem, any advice out there???With our friends Cecilia and Adan. Cecilia looked fantastic and Adan came straight from the airport from a business trip so Mario lent him the glasses.Cecilia and I bogeying, hair beyond flat.Total props to Mario's mom for her TOTAL Gunny Sax 1980's dress. And this is a guy in our ward that I love because he is super funny, but I have been freaking out for like two weeks, ever since I found out he's only 25!!! He has a daughter who's 7 and his wife is like 35...seriously, blew my mind.

11 comments:

Paige said...

Thank you for a running commentary on the hair deflation. I get it. Also, Gabe's onesie is a masterpiece, and your hubby is so good it's scary. Please tell me she wore the gunne sax dress on purpose to be retro. I am still dying you are the bishop's wife.

Lorena said...

Too fun! Mario is the bishop?

Jessica said...

YOU LOOK FABULOUS! Swamp comment: funny. Flat hair comments: funny. Mario's mom: funny.

Erika said...

you rock... er I mean - groovy girl... groovy! Loved the photos - even if you had flat hair.

Cecilia, Adan & Cia. said...

Hey!! Adri!! buenos tus comentarios del Blog..yy..i'm starting to get used to humidity..my hair and skin are not the same since i moved to Rosario, you know...Besides,que divinas las caras de Gabriel!! que agrandado!! estaba pensando que con los padres que tiene, van a tener que hacer un "Future Special Carseat" que tal una baƱadera de bebes tapizada???yyy..es mas larga que un "Regular carseat", o no??jejeje!!

Julie said...

as far as the constant puking is concerned it usually, lets up around four months, at least it did in Elliot's Case, so you are almost there. PS you guys look awesome!

Linsey said...

Mario's Mom is too much...and seriously!!! 25!!! He looks older than that, I am in shock. Kudos on your retro success, you all look marvelous!

Tiffany said...

Loved the hair -- definetly looked like Heather Locklear -- at least at the beginning of the night.

Puking -- Oh do we know about puking. All 3 of my kids have been major spitters - we're talking cup fulls, or at least it seemed like that much. But, all of them were above 50% in growth and the spit up didn't bother them so the doctors didn't worry about it. But, it's a MAJOR annoyance. I never went anywhere without a burpcloth. And I couldn't even use dainty little cute ones. Mine were practically towels that could absorb a lot and fast. Good luck!

Ashley said...

Mario's costume brings me back to Ponch on Chips...I really think he's a spitting image. Gabe's outfit is fantastic - wish I had advice about the puke, but I don't. I can only be a nice supportive sister & call you to tell I hope your day is better than the one before. However, you are hot and I LOVE th flat hair...it's so you!

wackywilsons said...

I am so impressed with your creativity and your desire to really hit the fashion world...please tell me that Mario doesn't wear pegged pants on a daily basis...

You make a Hot Heather!

Nortorious said...

You are the bishop's wife? That's like license to act crazy! I like the details on the bell bottoms and how you subtly coordinate with Gabe.
I comment on your blog, why you no comment on mine?