spots

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Excuse me, is that a bathing suit??

Me, Gabe, and the questionable swimming outfit.


In the last week we have been to two different public pools. The first was last Wednesday when we went to spend the afternoon with the church youth at their summer camp, and then on Saturday we went to a camp ground with a great pool with a bunch of friends. Both pools had prominently posted rules that included things like no running, no eating or drinking mate in the pool, and bathing suits required at all times. I'm not sure if this last rule was to prevent people swimming in clothing, or naked, but whatever. At BOTH POOLS I almost got kicked out because no one here has ever seen a tankini, so they didn't think I was wearing a bathing suit!

Females in Argentina determine what kind of bathing suit they will wear by their age. If you are under 65, you wear a very small bikini, that is not exactly a thong, but definitely exposes at least half of your cheeks. If you are over 65, you wear a very matronly one-piece with some kind of horrible tropical print. Your body shape/size and the amount of cellulite dimples in your butt are completely irrelevant in making your bathing suit choice.

At the second pool, when the lifeguard called me over to question me about my unidentifiable covering, Mario accompanied me. When he asked what I was wearing, Mario helpfully jumped in and said "it's not from here, but it something that pregnant women, or women who just had a baby wear." So apparently, even my husband thinks I am incredibly frumpy and should not be exposing myself in public just yet. So would wearing a bikini and exposing my muffin top make me look more young and chic?? And does no one consider that simple thing called modesty??


Mario going down the very fun slide.

Me, cute pregnant Carolina, and Gabe, who btw, stood up for a full 10 seconds holding on to NOTHING while we were there. I am not happily anticipating his walking stage...

Gabe and Mario in the pool. Gabe looks rather pensive here, but he really loves the water.

9 comments:

Paige said...

Yeah, I'd die. Please get out your skimpiest suit and wear it with pride. When in Rome....

Jessica said...

Ryan and I are laughing. Tell Mario that since you are blessed with the most amazing biology ever, you could totally out-bikini those Argentine girls but...WWJD? (Not WWP(Paige)D!)

Linsey said...

I love it! Please go out right now and get a more "appropriate" suit and then post pictures on the blog so we can judge the appropriateness of it.

I can't believe Gabe is so close to walking...I couldn't wait for Caleb to walk (not until 15 months mind you) and then he did and I have been out of breath since.

November in Venezuela is perfect - come then or whenever and stay for as long as you can/want. We'll work on a fun side trip too - somewhere in the Caribbean would be spectacular.

Nortorious said...

I am moving to Argentina. This was my favorite post yet. I have bikinis if you need to borrow them, seeing as my chub body is only on it's way up (again).
Way to protect the jewels on that slide, Mario.

Brown Sugar said...

I would suggest buying a T-shirt that has a sexy woman's body on it wearing a skimpy bikini and see what happens. Perhaps I will experiment with this myself the next time I visit.

Tammy said...

I say you need to bring out the famous white, bond girl bikini you wore in Miami Beach and in Santa Barbara....and I know you still look fabulous in it! When in Rome! And because you are so damn sexy, you would need a turtleneck to look modest....so don't kid yourself.....skimpy bikini, tankini...you look hot either way!

Ashley said...

Wow...I say go for it - wear the skimpy bikini. Funny how being a mom has changed you versus the teenage years of sneaking away from mom @ the beach so she wouldn't see you wearing the skimpy 2 piece. Is it b/c now it's OK that you are fighting system??? I so know you...

Never a temptation for me as I am a sister that DID NOT inherit the same sexy body genes as you. However, w/ a promise from my trainer to be 30 lbs. lighter in 3 mos. perhaps I will come for another trip & join you in skimpiness. Love you!

Misty Smart said...

Adrianne- you are so cute. You should wear the bikini. Gabe is so cute too. Cade was riding Gabes trike at your moms and he kept saying "baby babe's bike", as he was riding it. We miss you.

Lorena said...

Yeah...do the bikini...I won't tell...but post pictures so we can all hate you.