spots

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Looking For Love In Random Places



I am a dork. I have been wondering all week what I can blog about now that I’m back to the mundane, and was all excited to blog about my lunch today, packed my camera in my bag, arrived, told everyone I was going to take a picture so I could blog, and then never did it. So, above is an old photo from Halloween of my compatriots Janette and Stephanie. Today the three of us got together with two more Americans-married-to-Argentines for lunch. Their stories are kind of interesting so I thought I’d share them with you.

Janette is a California native, who was blissfully enjoying San Diego life when one day a handsome Argentine disembarked from a sailboat and floated into her life. German had left Argentina several years earlier and, had been living in Italy, and sailing all over the world. When he met Janette, he invited her to sail with him down through the Panama Canal and around to some other places I don’t remember, and by the time the trip had finished he had decided to give up his nautical life and marry Janette and stay in California. 10 years later he was working for some kind of IT company that needed to out-source their labor to stay in business, so instead of heading to India they sent German and Janette down to his father-land to run things on this end. They’ve been here just over three years.

Stephanie is also a California native who was committed to staying single the rest of her life. However, while hiking the Inca Trail in Peru with a girlfriend, she spotted a very strapping and sexy man that so called to her sub-conscious that she brushed off her dusty knowledge of Spanish to strike up a conversation. So stricken with the Argentine, at the end of her trip she changed her ticket and moved directly to Rosario to be with him, without ever returning home. They married about 8 months later and I was there to witness the vows.

Gabriela is an American of Argentine descent. Thus her growing up years were split between the United States and Argentina. At about 18 years of age she happened to be living in Argentine at the time that she met her would-be husband. However, by Argentine law parents have to approve marriage until you are 21 years of age. So for two years they traveled around the country with their band (they are both musicians) until she finally realized that they could go to the US and get married there! He moved back to the US, the married, and now 15 years later they have decided that Rosario beats New Jersey and moved back to make this their home.

Judy is new to Rosario – she’s only been here about a month, and I think I love her story the best. A couple of years ago, in her early 50’s, she was helping to plan her class reunion and on classmates.com miraculously found her old high school boyfriend – who during their senior year was a foreign exchange student from Bolivia. She got in touch, now they were both divorced, and the sparks flew once again! He works for a Bolivian company in their offices here in Rosario, so she has moved here and they are looking to buy a house to create their life together here. We expect wedding bells in the not too distant future!

Just goes to show, you never know where you’ll find love! (and Argentine men are sexier than average!)



4 comments:

Ellie said...

My man was born in Provo, UT. You can't get much more foreign then that place.

Jessica said...

What a cute idea for a post. I feel very much better when I hear about your friends there, because I worry you are floundering without me...=)

Sally said...

What a great post. These stories are wonderful and evoked an image of all these gorgeous Argentine men with irresistable magnetism so that smart, cute, independent women like yourself are dropping like flies (and happily so)! I've never met your husband of course, but from your blog and what Paige says he sounds like such a great guy. Thanks for sharing these charming stories!

wackywilsons said...

First of all...your blogs are NEVER boring...your manner of writing is so entertaining and funny!

Thanks for keeping us all in your thoughts throughout your day..."things to blog" days are good ones to account for:)