spots

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

No Morning Self-Discipline


Anyone who knows me, knows I am NOT a morning person. In high school I was supposed to attend a church seminary class at 6:30 every morning. I set my alarm every single night with the intention of going. I did not have enough attendence to be graded in any single year. In college the only class I got a D in and had to retake was a French class I mistakenly scheduled at 8 am and was unable to attend often enough to learn anything. One time my dad tried to get me to do his paper-route with him. After forcing myself out of bed and into the back of our van, I had to request the he pull over so I could vomit. Getting up early makes me vomit. It's true.

So, after spending 3 days with my very lovely and disciplined friends in California, I was feeling severe guilt about not working out regularly. I have been telling myself that finding a babysitter to go to the gym is just too much trouble, so I am excused. But they all get up FREAKING EARLY to work out, and do it 6 days a week!! So I got all motivated and decided that get up at 7am at least 3 days a week and go to the gym before Mario goes to work.

I've been home for almost a month, and once I got up at 8, and I wanted to vomit. I'm hoping the time change coming in March will help me make the adjustment.

8 comments:

Linsey said...

I think they have a sickness - even with live-in help I can't do the get up early and work out thing. Of course I would never think that I am the one with the sickness instead.

My goal in life is to avoid all things that induce vomiting - stay in bed!

Paige said...

Look, the workout morning thing doesn't work for you. Don't try it. I can't do it either. Find another way. Your efforts are breaking my heart.

Skinny people don't really need to exercise anyway.

Sally said...

I'm with Paige, you are already skinny. Sleep in for heaven's sake, before you know it you will either have a kid who wants you up at 6 AM, or school.

I have the same thing, by the way--waking up early makes me vomit. Waking up early to catch a flight is guaranteed vomit. For me, "waking up early" means any time before 5:30 AM, but used to mean 7:00. Three kids later, early has a new definition.

Erika said...

if I looked like you - I wouldn't want to exercise either. you're one of the blessed few. stop making yourself throw up. sleep.

Jessica said...

The vomiting removes the same calories as a workout, so you're good.

Why can't we ever talk to each other?

Tammy said...

I don't understand why some people need more sleep than others? I get up early, stay out late a lot and never nap. I am secretly a vampire? you look fabulous without exercising, but getting your heart pumping is needed to stay healthy so just jump around the house at some point after 10am and you should be good to go! Or buy a pole and swing around it in your house?!

Nate and Sina said...

In high school I luckily had a lunch time seminary option. In college I had a strict no class before 10am rule. I am constantly criticized by other moms for the fact that my 2.5 year old wakes up for the day at 10:30am. I think they are just envious that their kid starts screaming at 6am.

Embrace yourself, forget early morning workouts, and find another time to do it!!

I lurk on your blog regularly and have actually linked to you so I don't have to go through Linsey's blog to get here. Hope that is ok!

Lorena said...

I can't get up early to workout anymore...I used to, but now I'm old and cranky.

I go after I drop off my kids at school. Our gym has a daycare and that is where Brooke watches her morning cartoons.

I think group settings are way more motivating, so maybe try that.

Wait, I secretly hate you and your modelesque body.