spots

Monday, August 06, 2007

I am somebody's bad joke

This morning I crawled out of bed, fed my baby, pulled on some clothes, and left the house when it was still dark to go to my appointment at the Civil Registry to solicit my identity document. My appointment was for 7:30am. When I got there at 7:15, there was already a line of about 50 people which I joined and we all waited in the freezing cold for over an hour. Turns out they decided to change their hours from 7:30 - 12:30 to 8:15-1:15. I finally got in to see the correct person, he asked for my documents. Mind you, he is listening to headphones and does not look at me or OPEN HIS MOUTH TO SPEAK, so I'm a little lost as to what I'm supposed to do. I start pulling them out and he tells me he needs a photocopy of the page in my passport from when I entered the country. I give him the photocopy I had made of my most recent entry. He doesn't want that one, he doesn't want the first entry, he wants some random one from a trip in 2006, so I have to leave, walk three blocks away, make a photocopy, and go back. When I return he starts reviewing my documents again, and tells me that the immigration department did not put my correct birth date on my residency papers. I show him both my birth certificate and passport, showing my correct birth date, but he reports he can do nothing, I must return to immigration, request a new residency document, and start over.

I left in tears. Are they kidding? Is this some kind of test to see how long the stupid foreigner will run around in circles kicking herself in the butt so she can have an ID and a driver's license?? I know it's not just me, they treat everyone this way.

I came home and told Mario I was done, I'm not trying anymore, I will never get my documents and I don't care. It's not worth it.

Mario just called and is taking my to lunch to try and cheer me up. I don't know if it will work. Can I go home yet?

7 comments:

Linsey said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. What a nightmare. You definitely get a pass on getting an Argentine identity for a good long while. Deep breaths...Christmas is coming!

Anonymous said...

On the bright side, there are plans to open a third Subway in Rosario. and on an even brighter side the Subway opening will probably be overseen by the most physically fit/tiny waisted Subway official ever, sorry jared. What am I saying- argentina totally sucks and you should come home immediately.

Lindsay

Jessica said...

I am actually behind this whole thing, hoping you will get so frustrated that you and your cute baby and nice husband will move back where you belong. I am prepared to continue as long as you do.

Celia Fae said...

You shouldn't invite me to Arizona blogapalooza unless you really want me to come and butt in on your friend time. Cause I will.

Paige said...

She will. You don't need an identity document, you need a plane ticket.

wackywilsons said...

What if Mario came to help you out?? His manly, large stature and dark eyebrows might intimidate that nasty viejito...

Hang in there, we love your stories you are experiencing and are crying with you

Tammy said...

Are you an illegal alien? What a fun term to use for you? I am kidding, I am so sorry for the trials and tribulations that you face in such a disorganized country. But Adrianne, you rock because you can do it, and I know you will. I would not have faith in that many others....compliments to you for your resilience. love ya